Vitamin B1 is a water-soluble vitamin and is required to convert food, particularly carbohydrates, into energy and keep our body and mind in good working order.
Roles in the Body:
- Transmission of electrical signals in the nerves and muscles
- Helps form red blood cells
- Assists in digestion
- Plays an important role in our mood and alertness
- Keeps our brain functioning well
Signs of Deficiency:
- Poor concentration
- Muscle pains
- Nausea and stomach pain
- Water retention
- High alcohol intake increases requirements.
Best Food Sources:
Beef, pork, chicken, fish, liver, eggs, whole grains, brown rice, peas, nuts, lentils and fortified foods (such as vegemite – however I am not saying that this is healthy).